Beverley’s Historic Shipyard, East Yorkshire
Beverley’s former shipbuilding industry was considerable, employing over 650 people, building over 1300 ships, and contributing to Britain’s WW2 effort. Beverley built literally hundreds of trawlers and many were modified in WW2 for military purposes. Most people are not now aware of this history but Beverley’s shipbuilding industry deserves to be remembered.
A memorial archway display board has therefore been erected at the entrance to the site of the former shipyard in order to inform people of this wealth of history. The rusting arch evokes the factory gates and the information board has numerous photographs of the shipyard with explanatory text.
Hull’s walk-on museum the ‘Arctic Corsair’ and Bridlington’s ‘Yorkshire Belle’ both feature on the board as Beverley built ships.
The whole project was inspired by Howard Tomlinson MBE who sadly died before its completion but passed it on to the sculptor Peter Naylor (‘St. Andrews Memorial to Lost Trawlermen’). It has all been done by local companies and is now an attractive, meaningful and informative installation that preserves this important piece of Beverley’s heritage.
It is positioned in Beverley on Grovehill Road next to the bridge across the River Hull on land kindly given by John Marin, the last shipbuilder in Beverley.
Photos of the Opening:
- Here is a link to view the Information Board in more detail – click on link – Ragged edge
The two photos below show the Memorial archway in the workshop designed by Peter Naylor and constructed by W. Campbell & Son Ltd, Hull.
For more information about Peter Naylor and his work, including the St. Andrews Memorial to Lost Trawlermen sculpture go to: www.peternaylor.co.uk