In the past five years, STAND has successfully raised £66,469 towards the Garden of Social History Project. This has been achieved through community fundraising events, donations and our regular collection boxes. Highlighted below are some of the events that have taken place and major donations received.
- The Hessle Road Reunions are community evenings of social integration, entertainment and nostalgia with an average attendance of up to 450 people per event.
- The Ryder Club social events also attract an attendance of up to 150 people. The income from this event in the past allowed for shared revenue to other charitable events i.e. Children in Need and the Lord Mayor’s Charity Fund.
- An evening concert by Hull Male Voice Choir and Hull Trinity House Academy Steel Band proved to be a popular and successful event at which ASDA, Hessle Road provided refreshments
- Promotion of the Memorial Project at Awareness Events located in supermarkets with donations received through a bucket collection.
- Presentations about Hull’s Fishing Heritage have been delivered to adult groups who have made a donation in appreciation.
UPCOMING FUNDRAISING SOCIAL EVENING OF ENTERTAINMENT.
June 28th 2019 will see the next HESSLE ROAD REUNION held at the New Walton Club in Hull with both National and Local artistes performing. Details of this event will be advertised on the STAND website and displayed locally nearer the date.
- Online auction of football shirts donated by Hull City Football Club.
- Regular presentations to schools, some of whom have carried out curriculum projects resulting in funds being raised for STAND i.e. one school raised nearly £3000 by writing to local companies asking for sponsorship to walk over the Humber Bridge.
Donations from businesses:
In the past some local businesses and Organisations have been generous in their support of STAND and more recently in the campaign to fund the Garden of Social History Project……
PAST DONORS TO THE MEMORIAL …….
SAINSBURYS CHARITY AID FOUNDATION
BLUE KELD WATER
LORD MAYOR’S CHARITY FUND
DEE STREET SOCIAL CLUB
SMALES FISH PROCESSORS
RICHARD BROWN (BROWNIES)
SIMPSON FISH FOOD
RECENT DONORS TO THE GARDEN OF SOCIAL HISTORY…..
ANDREW MARR INTERNATIONAL
J. R. RIX LTD
Donations from the general public:
The citizens of Kingston upon Hull have been overwhelmingly generous over the years for which STAND is very grateful. We have also received very generous gifts from further afield.
Sadly, this has proved to be a most prolific and generous source of donation.
The late Jim Williams a former Skipper, wrote a booklet about a lifetime at sea including his time as Mate on the ‘Arctic Corsair’.
These booklets are a very successful form of donation, were previously sold to visitors at the free maritime attraction – the ‘Arctic Corsair’ but are now available at the East Riding Museum Visitors Centre reception.